Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Gourmet

Here's Bernie Wrightson's classic story "The Gourmet" from the DC humor comic Plop #1 (October 1973). For my money, this is one of the best things Bernie has ever done. Steve Skeates' script has that perfect blend of humor and horror that Wrightson does so well. This was published in the middle of his run on Swamp Thing and you can see how the artist had really honed and tightened and skills while producing a bi-monthly book. The level of brushwork and detail in this story comes close to his later work for Warren publishing. This particularly shows in his frequent renditions of the host, Cain. The drawing of Cain at the top of page 5 is one of my favorite things by Wrightson.

This story was reprinted in DC's Masterwork series #3 and in glorious black and white in A Look Back.














[via]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom,

I just wanted to thank you for posting PlayGroundology to metafilter earlier this week. It resulted in a huge traffic spike and some seeding of the blog in far flung places.

You've got an interesting piece of digital archiving on the go. The war comics posted just the other day reminded me of Sgt. Rock from my days as a young boy.

Do you remember, or have you seen the Civil War collecting cards from the mid-1960s?

Cheers
Alex Smith

edsquid said...

Oh, this reminds me of the Drugstore I bought most of my comics from, after school. I'd grab "Plop" before anyone else could. "House of Mystery"On and on. DC kicked butt then. Best, Ed Henry Flynn